Monday, August 3, 2015

How Not Giving A F*ck Changed My Summer, (and my life).



I'm typically a stickler for order and a sort of, controlled chaos. Ever since I became a parent, my life, personality, and dreams, have kind of taken a backseat which is the wrong way to go about things.  It is not as if I am saying you shouldn't make conscience changes for your children, or future children, (yes sorry, the binge drinking and Molly will need to fall back for now.) I decided to be my own guinea pig and simply take a more relaxed approach to my Summer activities. Nothing planned, no camps (except for Football at the end of Summer for H which is kind of mandatory), and no vacations that need months of prior planning to achieve maximum comfort.

"You should not need a vacation, after planning a vacation!"
-Logic

Here's a few things;
1. If you leave your children with grandparents or siblings, or some trusted adult who used to babysit you, STOP APOLOGIZING! LEAVE! They will not die, you certainly didn't. I understand if this is a new infant situation, but save it, you deserve liquor with an umbrella and your ass in a beach chair. Kiss and go honey!
2. For a brief second, I decided that I'd take up painting a cooler because I love Pinterest. I also joked that this was my Summer of Prep. Nope! Do you know how long it takes to paint a cooler? The steps involved, and the meticulous tracing. I can't even cut a circle with a round bowl as my stencil correctly. (I tip my hat to you sorority girls, where that idea spawned from ... sweet jesus.) Skip it! In fact, skip the cooler and eat at a restaurant. What's better than drunk you finding your leftovers? You're like your own fairy. It's kind of amazing!
3. Stop dieting on vacation! Unless you're sitting in front of Charlie Hunan, Chris Pratt, and Liam Hemsworth  and they've planned some kind of mass mating ritual later where you are the sacrificial virgin and you don't want to bloat. Maybe skip a crab cake? The likelihood of that situation actually happening is stupidly impossible. However, if you're with your girls or guys, hunting the D or the V, just be yourself! Drink all the liquor. Eat pasta. Embrace the carbs, and just live your life for 2-3 days. Don't make everyone else suffer in the name of Atkins, low-carb, no carb .... ugh.
4. On the other hand, don't overindulge in the spirits so much that you're a miserable asshat the next day. Stock up on bottled water, Motrin, and Tylenol, put on you big girl panties and ride the banana boat because it's the whole reason you booked your vacation. (I know you did, I would book for the same exact reason! Those people look so happy on the brochure. Who could be miserable on giant banana?)
5. Bring a mini cooler, because drinks at places are stupid expensive. You know what drinks I'm referring to, airplane bottles = BYOB>$$$$. Also you won't have to leave stuff at the beach because you can carry your bestie back to the room while toting said cooler, but it's also good for beer, in cans.
6. Do not buy the expensive towels! Buy one beach towel for yourself, whatever makes you happy. Invest in the $5 quick dry Walmart towels to put on seats and for emergencies. Just roll them up and put them in the trunk. I bought about 10, plus that I already had here and they have saved me many times.
7. Let your friends, spouses, and significant others make the plans sometimes. If they love you as much as they say, they will not bring you to vacation to the murder hotel, or god forbid, bring you some place that doesn't have hot water. They should know you better! Thankfully I did this, and it was the best vacation ever with my friends and this has been the best Summer ever because I let other people do stuff. That makes me less stressed, which makes me therefore more fun.
8. Be nice to the hotel people. All of the hotel people! This includes the maid, even if she comes in and blows cigarette smoke right in your face. The one resort vacation I booked, the reservations got kind of screwy but they put us in the best room, and it was steps from the beach. It was all because I was nice to the front desk lady, and kind, and she fixed everything. Kindness makes everyone happier, and better!
9. Stop taking pictures, and take in the moment! The less pictures I took this Summer the more I remembered. I still took silly instagrams, and made the usual panoramic of the beach with my iPhone, but mostly I had conversations. I sought out adventure and the path I discovered along the way made me feel more complete than all the monetary stuff in the world.
10. Go after one thing, whatever it is. Make that your one task. Not a diet. Do not try and lose 30lbs with this goal, just make a goal and go after it. If it's a person you haven't seen in awhile, or a city you have never visited, or do you want to zip-line. Make it your goal. Go for it! You deserve it, and you owe it to yourself to find that one thing that moves you forward toward something better.


I did splurge on some nicer hotels when I was in charge of reservations, but I also got to stay at some places off the beaten path which were worth it. I will remember the little motel we stayed at where my friend jumped out of the bushes and scared the bejesus out of us, more than the weird wedding party that happened at the resort. Although, that resort was awesome. (They had a dry line in the shower to hang your bathing suits... I mean! However, my guy friend did make fun of me because of the way I said resort.) I admit it, I'm a resort girl but I am sometimes in a forever state of wanderlust but I'm too scared to book the non-branded motel. This is something I'm working on!

I took a break this Summer, but I have lots to talk about. This year is going to be busy, travel filled, and amazing. Oh, and I got my dream camera ... so that helps :)

No comments :

Post a Comment