Sunday, February 22, 2015

Valentine's: A Night Out



I've never been a big Valentine's Day person. Once in 7th grade this guy Michael bought me a teddy bear after dating me for a week, and then broke up with me the next day. Thankfully I got to keep the bear! This year I prepared, I planned a day/night out with my closest girlfriends.

Valentine's Day I decided to head to my hometown and hang with my friends, and spend the night out with some lively music from Jeffrey Lewis who was playing a show at an art gallery. I once saw him play in someone's living room when I was a young kid, and he's been my favorite live performer ever since. The most surprising part about being a modern Southern woman is that musically I've had the opportunity and have branched out a lot since my roots run deep with blues and rock n' roll. Thankfully Greenville, NC has provided that for me, and given me the culture that I craved, and kept me local instead of trying to escape the South.



The morning started with brunch. Biscuits from the Bojangles drive-thru, and mimosas' in the parking lot before we went to see 50 Shades of Grey. I'm still not entirely sure why we decided as a group to go see this movie, but it was entertaining. Jamie Dornan is of course my new girl crush, and I was already watching The Fall before I went to see movie so I was fully immersed in all of his attractive traits. I've never heard that many women sigh at the same time in unison. It was surprisingly funny, and sweet at points.




I decided to get my makeup done and I enlisted the help of my friend Meagan Wilson to help me, (pictures at the top). She's a professional freelance makeup artist, but I've known her since we were getting ready together for nights out when I was 19. It's pretty fantastic to see her as a growing professional, and if you're ever in Greenville I highly recommend her. Currently she does by appointment only consultations, but for Valentine's Day she did a special for a full face so I contacted her and set it up. She asked for a few pointers about my outfit, but really I just let her go crazy. The result was a punchy red lip, a new take on the smokey eye, and an amazing set of fake lashes to add onto my already long one's. It was perfect. I especially loved the glitter liner on the inner corners, because in the dark my eyes looked incredible! She is really incredibly talented, and so dedicated to her craft.

Jeffrey Lewis was great, and the night ended with me in bed happily asleep. Currently I'm nursing a wicked cold, but Valentine's Weekend was worth it! I had the best time with my friends and getting ready was fun again. I can't wait for my birthday.

xo,

No comments :

Post a Comment